Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Lesson Presentation

             My partner Rich and I prepared for the lesson by brainstorming and thinking of activities that children would enjoy. We wanted to make sure students would have fun while being productive. We were sure that we wanted to use Simon says in our lesson.The objectives of our lesson was to have students understand what rules are and why they are important. We also wanted students to be able to draw out designated rules themselves. We wanted the students to be able to make the connection of rules being important in places such as their homes. We would assess the students by walking around class and checking papers as well as making sure they wrote complete sentences. My partner and I went through everything we planned to although the behaviors of the class did slow us down. Somethings such as students writing their names on the board did not turn out how we planned.
            The most important thing we tried to teach the students was what rules are appropriate in places such as the classroom and why it is important to follow them. I think the lesson went pretty goo although at times it seemed that there was a lot of different behaviors at once. I learned that the as a teacher you have to be in your toes and expect the unexpected. A teacher should be willing to adjust a lesson when needed. After teaching my lesson with my partner Rich, I thought of all the things I wish I would have implemented. I have taught other lessons and noticed that when dealing with young children you can not do a lot of things at the same time but this time I wish I had did more. I wish I had implemented the good rewards soon after introducing the consequences for bad behavior. I also wish I would have students acting out cause and effect or scenes from the book. I also would have had the rules on the smart board and have students come up and underline important words in each rule.


This lesson makes me motivated to become a teacher and helps me realize the things that I should consider when I have my own classroom. 
                                        

3 comments:

  1. Sheniqua,

    I loved this lesson.

    You stated< "After teaching my lesson with my partner Rich, I thought of all the things I wish I would have implemented. I have taught other lessons and noticed that when dealing with young children you can not do a lot of things at the same time but this time I wish I had did more. I wish I had implemented the good rewards soon after introducing the consequences for bad behavior. I also wish I would have students acting out cause and effect or scenes from the book. I also would have had the rules on the smart board and have students come up and underline important words in each rule."

    This self-reflection is the most important part of teaching. As an educator, you will constantly need to reevaluate your teaching plans and execution.

    Thanks for sharing this reflection with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shaniqua, you both did a good job. Dealing with young children and having adults acting like children is so different. I know this was a great experienced for all of us and we all learned from it. You did a Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheniqua you and Rich did a great job in my eyes. I enjoyed the way you both tag teamed the lesson and the rules set out in the beginning of the lesson really let the students know they were about to learn about the way to behave. I also loved the story. I think in a real elementary setting the students will love this lesson.

    ReplyDelete